Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Russian Pancakes {Crepes}

We are on our fourth snow day this February.
Bruce was up early to shovel our driveway...something he loves. Seriously. He loves it.
This was out our front door at about 7 am.
I'm not sure if you can tell but there is a huge drift making our house look level with the ground.
It's at least two feet deep here.
This is out my back door and onto the deck.
In effort to make another snow day special. I made Russian Pancakes for breakfast.
The Mennonites in the area call them that. The rest of the world calls them Crepes.
No matter what you call them, it's a treat.
I got my crepe pan a few years back from my in laws.
The brand is Berndes. (Cindy made crepes at the craft weekend and she used something like this.)
We sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar.
Roll them up.
And eat and eat.
Both of the girls love them.
He loves them, too.
And guess who else loves them? So much that I don't even care that you're seeing me like this.
Do you make Russian pancakes/crepes?
What do you eat on them?
I have Nutella on the brain lately...doesn't that sound delish?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Russian Pancakes
3 eggs
3 cups milk
1 tsp. salk
2 cups flour
Beat eggs well. Add milk and salt. Stir. Add flour. 
Beat until smooth.
Pour batter in greased skillet or griddle about 1/8 inch thick. 
Turn when set and lightly browned. 
(I don't let mine get brown, I like them a little doughy.) 
Rollup and serve with cinnamon. and sugar.
source: Ebenfeld Mennonite Brethren Church Cookbook, pg. 113

**They will keep in the fridge for days, if there are any left.

16 comments:

  1. The best thing to do on a snow day is to enjoy comfort food. What's for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adam loves shoveling the driveway and sidewalk too! Kinda weird...

    ReplyDelete
  3. can you just drive over here and make some for me.
    i have no energy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummmmmmm! sounds so good. making these soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you look really pretty without makeup, you have kind eyes. My Husband loves shoveling the driveway too, hey whatever floats his boat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had Russian Pancakes for "brunch" yesterday... today it was my childhood favorite Orange Coffee Cake. (1 c. flour, 1 c. sugar, 1/2 t. soda, 1 egg, 1 sm. can drained mandarine oranges) Blend, bake 30 min. at 350. Top with 1/2c. brown sugar, 3T.melted butter, and 1T. milk, mixed. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We call them German Pancakes....slather them with butter, cinnamon and sugar and jelly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty sure there's a French chef somewhere spinning in his grave. Giving the Russians or Germans credit for the crepe is tantamount to knocking down the Eiffel Tower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could seriously stick my face in these! Wish i was enjoying them with you! I'll eat them pretty much anyway....but doesn't some kind of cream cheese filling sound wonderful, maybe with some fruit...and coffee of course. Let's make these in Joy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grandma Krienke made these and called them Swedish pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tell Abe that most cultures have a crepe in their cuisine, and I'm sure you'd have a hard time determining who 'invented' them. Call them crepes or tortillas or naan, but most people love them some flat-bread of some sort! I DO make these...my mom's recipe via Great-grandma Heinrichs...only we called them Flinsa. When I lived in Prague, they called them Palachinky and served them with fruit or ice cream/choc. sauce/whipped cream inside. We love syrup, cinnamon/sugar, and of course, NUTELLA!!! Have you ever had savory ones with ham/asparagus and hollendaise? yummo! Glad you're staying warm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. While enjoying my time without a job, I watch Food Network. Bobby Flay made crepes this morning! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
    that's all.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Carissa - I think it's a bit of a stretch to call a crepe the same thing as a tortilla, pita or naan. Each has very unique composition and preparation methods. We can trace the ancestry of the tortilla, pita and naan to specific regions of the world. Likewise, the origins of the thin pancake called a crepe can be traced back to northern France.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cr%C3%AApe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Swedish Pancakes where I grew up :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are called blinchiki in Russia.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails