Tuesday, September 20, 2011

With a Side of Grace plus Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

The Vintage Soiree sale was so much fun. I ran over and took a few pictures on Friday before the sale actually started. All those pops of white and turquoise make my heart smile 'til it hurts.
See that white table with the lamp on it? That came home with me. My sister gave me a gift certificate to the Vintage Soiree for my birthday this year and I spent it with fervor.
Right now that lovely table is in my living room.
I'm not sure where it will land.
I never am when I buy something.

On Friday night, Bruce's mom came over, and we had our own little craft night.
I wanted to make this headband made out of old t-shirts.
I also made this one.
I ran down to the Hillsboro Arts and Crafts Fair on Saturday morning for a bit.
(Mostly to pick up some New Years Cookies for myself family.)
My knitting friends Emily and Carisa had an awesome booth.  
Those hats are so cute, it almost makes me wish for winter. 
Almost.

Because I didn't get enough of the Barn/Mill last week, I decided to go again with my friend Megan H. 
I didn't remember seeing these yellow chairs and table before. The gorgeousness of it all is going to make somebody very happy. 
The chairs...such soft buttery goodness.
Beautiful.
I haven't been so in love with such buttery lovliness since the last time I made Bruce's favorite Cookie Bars. 
I grew up making them and have no idea what church cookbook they are originally from. I'm sure it's a great church because something as buttery as this doesn't come from people who don't dole out grace in extra large portions. 

Here's the recipe.
Serve it with a side of grace.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
2 sticks cold butter (I use salted.)
1 cup. brown sugar.
2 cups flour
1 tsp vanilla.
a shake or two of salt
5-6 ounces chocolate chips. 

Preheat Oven 350 degrees.
Beat cold butter (you might have to soften for 20 seconds in microwave, but you really want it somewhat cold or the bars will be too greasy) and brown sugar together. Add flour, vanilla and salt. The dough might seem like it's not going to come together, just keep your mixer going and it will. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Press dough into 9x13 pan and bake 15-20 minutes.
Cut while warm.

A couple of extra notes:
1. These are really really good served warm with a scoop of ice cream and have been my "go to" dessert for last minute get togethers.
2. Pregnant women of the world rejoice! There are not any eggs in this recipe, so if you have a hankering for cookie dough, this is the recipe for you. 

I'm just curious...
What's your "go to" dessert for those last minute get togethers?

13 comments:

  1. turquoise and white for miles! LOVE it.

    wish we had such fun finds around here...i probably just don't know where to look!

    your buttery bars look insane. to die for. YUM.

    my go to? usually anything involving ice cream. floats, shakes, sundaes. one of my friends favorites is when i put all my cutting boards in the freezer - and then host a homemade cold stone night - where they can mix in anything i have on hand (candy, chocolate chips, sprinkles, caramel or chocolate sauce, brownies, you name it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what did you BUY?! I'm dying over here! Glad you had fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that lamp is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always have brownie mix & vanilla ice cream ... a brownie topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream drizzled with Hershey's syrup ... they don't even suspect I wasn't expecting them! ;) Thank you for the recipe! Love the pics of the sale ... I saw several things I would have loved to buy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have yet to visit the barn/mill yet.....looks like some good stuff. I wish I would have made it to the Vintage Soiree earlier....some stuff I wanted was gone, but I did get a cute black chair for Maddox and an old tackle box for Coop.

    I usually go for a trifle dessert cause it looks like I spent a ton of time on it, but in reality they are so quick and easy and yummy too....the 2 that are my "go to" recipes are an angel food cake and strawberries with a yummy layer in between and the other is chocolate cake with pudding, cool whip mixture and some kid of crushed chocolate bar (usually snickers).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta try that recipe and I really need to come to the vinatage soiree some year ; I saw several things in the pics I want. :)) Sounded like a super fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the turquoise especially the chest of drawers in turquoise. I would have loved to been there

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the link :)
    Thanks for going with me and being patient.
    And thanks for the sudden craving for cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh have mercy. That sale might have been worth the 6 hour drive up there. I saw several things I *need.* Pure awesomeness. Hmm, let's see...my go to dessert recipes. I make some killer oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Oh, and my lemon squares, lemon bars, whatever you prefer to call them b/c they taste great either way. Today I'm making the men of my family a new recipe via Pinterest: thin mints. Hope they do the Girl Scouts proud. I have a tough audience here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm dying over all that cool stuff!!! I need to figure out how I'm getting back to Kansas -- with a truck. Maybe I need to visit the Wizard :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The chocolate chip bars come from a cookbook from St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Fairmont MN
    I received that cook book from a co worker as a wedding gift 39 years ago. Still good eating today! Kimberlee's mom

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kimberlee...

    I just wanted to say thank you so much for the prayers you said for me and my family. i appreciate you willingness to listen to the Holy Spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are the chairs I wanted!! I wish I would of had a truck, I would have bought so much more!! I am planning a trip back there with some friends!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails