Wednesday, June 1, 2011

No Bake Peanut Butter Cheesecake {in a Jar}

Wow, I didn't intend to take a blog break, but I guess I did.
I took a quick trip with Bruce (without the girls) to Denver over the weekend.
Denver is dreamy. Scenic. And friendly.
Hi, friends.
Do you think I took one picture of the mountains?
I guess I can add that to the many reasons to go back.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
A few weeks ago I came upon this recipe for cheesecake in a jar. 
After making it twice (both times with a dreamy raspberry sauce and more as parfaits) I decided I wanted to "peanut butter" it up, and give it out to Ella's teachers and para as a small "thank you" on the last day of school.

The shopping list:
Striped shortbread cookies
Creamy peanut butter
Lemon Juice
Cream Cheese
Sweetened Condensed Milk
Vanilla
Cream Cheese
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups
Throw those striped shortbread cookies in a baggie.
Then let your youngest take out her three year old aggressions on them.

Pour them into the smallest ball jars you can find. 
I added about a 1/4 cup, or just enough to cover the bottom.
Cream 1 bar of cream cheese, 2 T. Lemon juice, 1 tsp. vanilla, 1 can sweetened condensed milk, and a 1/4 cup peanut butter with your mixer.
Pour in about a 1/4 c of filling.
Then layer with more shortbread cookie crumbs.
And more filling.
Top with chopped Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
Put the lids on, then put them in fridge for at least 3 hours to set.
Just try and wait 3 hours.
I dare you.
I bet you can't do it.
I didn't.

What I loved the most (other than a taste every 10 minutes to make sure they were setting just right) was the surprise I got every time I opened the fridge that day.
Presents for people I love...it takes very little to brighten my day.

Here's the full recipe if you'd like try my version. 
I doubled it and it made eight jars.
It's rich, for sure.
I hope you love it.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

No Bake Peanut Butter Cheesecake In a Jar
1 bar of cream cheese
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 T. lemon juice
1/4 c. peanut butter
10-14 striped shortbread cookies (don't double this part)
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups roughly chopped

Place striped shortbread cookies in a ziplock, seal and crush. In a medium size bowl, beat the first five ingredients listed until smooth. Place 1/4 c. cookie crumbs in the bottom of the jars and layer with 1/4 c. of the filling. Place roughly chopped peanut butter cups on top. Place lids on and refrigerate at least 3 hours.

One more thing You can make these GLUTEN FREE! Just leave out the cookie and replace with a gluten free cookie, or just layer with more chopped peanut butter cups. (That's what I did for one gluten free friend who loves peanut butter as much as I do.) Check to make sure the ones that you are using are truly gluten free. Not all peanut butter cups are made equal. Not all Reese's Peanut Butter cups are truly gluten free. 
Who knew?

5 comments:

  1. A wonderful gluten free treat FOR SURE.

    Who DID know about the peanut butter cups?
    Oh that's right.
    My 7 year old can read labels better than I can.

    Amazingly enough, I shared a bit of mine with each of my family members. That's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummm-o!! i want to try this like tonight. :)

    and yes, i got your gc. THANK YOU! now just to plan what i want to spend it on...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. YUMMY. Hope you had a great time in Denver. Did you see a certain friend we both know??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I am a para (was, we just relocated and now I need to find a new job). I LOVE THAT YOU INCLUDE YOUR PARA when thinking of "thanks" for school staff. The paras in my school usually spend more awake time with the students than anyone in their day. I get 6 FULL hours with my student. I love her; I cheer her successes, cry at her heartbreaks, and cajole her into working, even when she doesn't want to. It is sometimes a hard job, but so is hers (school is hard for kids, especially those with special needs). While I am paid, and I feel my pay is fare, the appreciation (and comments from my student, "You're the best!) is what I am really thankful for. I would like to give you a standing ovation!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails