Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pumpkin Cheesecake

I have been a pumpkin cheesecake fan for as long as I can remember.
I'm not someone who wants to eat it in February. I certainly don't think about it in August, but around September 28th I can't stop thinking...
Pumpkin Cheesecake.
PUMPKIN cheesecake.
PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE!!!
I craaaaave it.

In October, I start saying things to Bruce's mom like, "I really hope you're okay with pumpkin cheesecake at Thanksgiving again because I'm making it even if I'm the only one who eats it." 

Guess what? I'm not the only one who eats it.

I wish that were the case because then I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner on Black Friday. A little known not quite truth is that it's called black friday because you're supposed to wear head to toe black the day after that much food is consumed. 
This fall, I have been making this cheesecake (and this one!) for all of the Craft Weekends. In the past 30 days I have eaten more cheesecake than I care to admit. This is why I am declaring the entire month "Black November". Head to toe black all of November! Anyone with me?

It's that good.

Adapted from: The Kirby House Cookbook

Pumpkin Cheesecake
Crust ingredients
30 gingersnaps or 1 3/4 cups gingersnap crumbs
¼ c. white sugar
2 Tbs. butter melted.

Cheesecake filling
(3) eight ounces packages Philadelphia Cream Cheese
(3) large eggs
1 1/2 cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
1 15 ounce can of pumpkin
2 ½ Tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
½ teaspoon cloves
2 tablespoons whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla

Whipped Cream
1 half pint of whipping cream
¼ cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon maple flavoring

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

To make the crust:
Place gingersnaps in food processor and pulse until fine. In a bowl, stir gingersnap crumbs, butter and sugar until all are mixed very well. Line the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan with parchment paper.  Spray the paper and the sides of the pan with a cooking spray to coat. Place crumbs in the bottom of the pan and pat down for an even crust.

Making the filling:
Beat the cream cheese, sugars, and eggs in a large mixing bowl for two minutes.  Add the can of pumpkin, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, whipping cream, and vanilla. Beat until just mixed all together. Then pour over the crust.

Bake the cheesecake for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. When the cheesecake middle doesn’t wiggle much it’s done. Take it out and let it cool for 20 minutes. Run a knife around the outside of the cheesecake then release and remove the springform. Let the cheesecake cool completely. Don’t worry if the cheesecake has a crack in it. Whipping cream covers a multitude of sins.

Place the cheesecake in an airtight container until you’re ready to serve. This cheesecake can be made up to three days ahead of time.

When you are ready to serve, beat a half pint of heavy whipping cream, a generous ¼ cup of white sugar, and a teaspoon of vanilla. Or for fun, try a teaspoon of maple flavoring instead of the vanilla!

9 comments:

  1. You crack me up. Oh, how I wish I would have tried it this weekend! I just HAD to try the famous "Pam's Cheesecake"... but the pumpkin one sounds so yummy too! I bet that's one of the highlights of cooking for CW... The leftovers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. so good.
    sooooooooo
    good.
    what do you do if your black clothes don't fit anymore?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, that decides it.
    This is what we are having for dessert on Thanksgiving!!
    Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is officially making the thanksgiving dessert list. :)
    i can't replace the classics - but i have a feeling this might be on the list for all time. :)
    can't WAIT to make it.
    seriously. i'm itching to bake something fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could have eaten it for breakfast lunch and dinner too! It was so awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was going to make Pam's cheesecake for Thanksgiving. I've made it a few times and LOVE it. But thinking I might give this a try instead. When you say it can be made in advance, do you refrigerate it? Dumb question probably. Also, when you make Pam's cheesecake, do you remove it from the pan like this one? Or do you refrigerate it in the pan like the recipe says?
    Thanks so much!!
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I refrigerate it if I make it ahead of time. And I have removed Pam's cheesecake both ways. ;)

      Delete
  7. i made this last week.! oh.my.goodness. job well done!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails