Monday, February 27, 2012

Cinnamon Rolls

A few years ago, I decided I needed to learn how to make cinnamon rolls. I had no idea how to do it, but because they are one of Ella's and Bruce's favorites, I messed around with several recipes to come up with what my family likes.
We like our rolls with a lot of height.
We like our rolls with a lot of cinnamon.
We like our rolls with a lot of frosting.

The girls at Craft Weekend sure like them a lot, too. ;)

Because I've received so many requests to blog the recipe, I jotted down my steps, but I also referred to several cookbooks to make sure I was on track.
I usually just feel it, and they kind of turn out different every time.  

Yeh, I'm one of those people. 

One thing you need to know off the bat, is that I own a Bosch food processor with a dough mixer attachment, which means I don't knead this dough whatsoever. If you are working with a another type of mixer, you're going to need to add a 5-7 minutes of kneading by hand at the end of the mixing process.

1. Warm 3 cups milk in the microwave for 5-6 minutes in the microwave and place in the mixer. You want it to bubble a little bit like this.
2. Melt 2 sticks of butter and pour it over the milk.
3. Add 3/4 cup of white sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt.
4. Add 4 cups of flour to the top of the butter, milk, sugar, salt mixture. You are creating a barrier so that when you add the eggs, you won't cook them.
5. Then add 2 packages of yeast to the top of the flour.
6. Place 4 large eggs in a small bowl and mix those by hand breaking the yolks. Add them to the top of the yeast and flour mix.
7. Turn on mixer and let it mix for 1 minute.
8. Add 4 more cups of flour and mix another 3-4 minutes.
9. Give your dough a finger check. When it's still sticky like this, add an additional cup of flour and mix another minute.

10. I give my dough a finger check again.


11. When it sticks to you, but snaps back. It's ready. If it's not doing this, add a 1/4 c. of flour at a time and keep mixing until it does this.

12. Spray a very large bowl with a cooking spray, and shape dough into a round loaf and place in bowl.
13. Cover and place in a warm spot. I always put mine in my oven just after turning it on for a minute or two and then shutting it right off.
14. Let rise for 60 minutes. (I forgot to take a picture for this. So sorry. Your dough should be puffy and nearly peaking out of the bowl.)

15. Punch down, cover and let rise again for 50 minutes.

16. Spread enough flour over your countertop so that the dough will not stick. Divide dough in half and roll out. I like a fat roll, so I don't make it too long or too skinny.
17. Melt 2 more sticks of butter.
18. Pour enough of the melted butter to generously cover the bottom of your pan. I used a 9x13 this time, but I've also made these in pie plates to give away.

19. Next pour 1/4 cup butter over the rolled out dough.

20. Spread 1/4 c. of white sugar in the middle of the roll.

21. Next spread as much cinnamon as you like over the top. We love cinnamon, so I get kind of cinnamon happy.

22. Next grab the edge furthest from yourself and begin to roll towards you. 

23. Don't worry about the butter oozing out all over the place. Just try to roll it the best you can.



24. Once you have rolled it tight. Pinch the seam closed.

25. Once I have the ends tucked in and closed up, I flip the seam over to the bottom. Then, I like to stretch my dough just a bit. Don't pull it apart. Just give it a little stretch to give you a little more for your money.
 26. I cut my rolls 1.5 to 2 inches thick.
 27. Place them in the 9x13 buttered pan.
 28. Cover with a tea towel and let rise 20 minutes. I usually get two 9x13's out of this recipe.

29. Move the racks inside of your oven to where your cinnamon rolls will sit approximately in the middle, and preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

30. Place rolls in the oven, and bake 17-20 minutes. I tend to lean towards less time because we like ours a little doughy.

31. Remove from oven, and because no one in your house will be able to wait, frost and eat.

32. If you're serving guests, load up the frosting for them. They'll mind their manners too well, and miss out on what living in the moment is if you let them do their own.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cinnamon Rolls
For the dough
3 c. milk, warmed in microwave 5-6 minutes, I used 2% or whole milk.
4 large eggs, beaten
3/4 white sugar
2 sticks butter
2 packages Traditional Yeast
1 teaspoon salt
9-10 cups of flour


Mix the ingredients above, and knead 5-7 minutes, as needed if you don't have a Bosch mixer. Place in very large bowl, and cover with tea towel. Let rise 60 minutes, then punch down. Let rise again for 50 minutes. Roll out, and add butter, cinnamon, and sugar as displayed above. (Measurements below.)


For the dough's center 
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup cinnamon, or more if you love it
2 sticks butter, melted for center and for pans


Cut dough into 1.5 to 2 inch rolls. Place in (2) 9x13 pans.
Cover and rise 20 minutes.


Bake 375 degrees for 17-20 minutes. Then frost.


Cinnamon Roll Frosting
This should make enough for 6-8 rolls, I rarely frost the entire batch at once. I usually freeze them unfrosted and make fresh batches of frosting as we eat them.
1/3 bar of cream cheese, softened
2 Tablespoons butter, softened
3-4 cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla


Whip the cream cheese and butter together, then add powdered sugar a cup at a time. Throw in a pinch of salt and vanilla. If it seems too thick, add milk to thin.

31 comments:

  1. hot diggity. these are QUITE a labor of love.
    maybe someday i'll be adventurous enough to make these.
    they look like an olympic sport to make.

    also, do you think if i used my kitchen aid hook kneading thingy it would have the same effect? (i have never used it)

    it may just be easier to fly out there and have one next time you make them (15 hour layover included).

    ;)

    also, love your last step of frosting them beforehand, you are totally right about that. and i'm so glad you are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also wondering about the kitchen aid dough hook thingy....and have you ever halved this recipe? Looks YUMMY YUMMO...delicious.

      Delete
    2. I say if you think it will get you out of the kneading step, go for it. That is my least favorite part. I've never tried to cut the recipe in half, but I don't see why I couldn't work.

      Delete
    3. I have been making these using my Kitchen Aid dough hook and I add a few minutes of kneading by hand. My family loves loves loves them! I also love to make them and share with friends and neighbors who don't bake❤️

      Delete
    4. Make them every Christmas! And use my kitchen aide. Works fine just got to keep pushing the dough down! They are a labor of love but so worth it.

      Delete
  2. So glad to have this recipe. Maybe someday, I will be brave and attempt :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet goodness, Ive been dying for you to post this! Thank you so much for sharing. They look like theyre worth every minute of prep time:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it's because I'm English and we call it different over here, but what flour are you using? We have self-raising, plain or bread flour :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just use what we call "All purpose" which I'm guessing is your plain. I have used bread flour, too and they turn out just as good.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I'm sure all my uni friends will love these!

      Delete
  5. Hi! I just wanted you to know that I pinned your No Bake peanut Butter cheesecake in a jar and it's being repinned all over the place. You're probably going to get a ton of blog hits because of it. Sorry!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the recipe and actual step-by-step! They were so wonderful at CW! I might attempt them on my own now that I see exactly how to make them! By the way, I love your red Fieta 9X13! I have one in yellow and one in orange. They make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks Delicious! I will have to save that for company.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy!! These were so awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound devine... But how about the recipe for your aunt's fruit and nut chili? Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. these and rethreading my sewing machine were my two favorite parts of craft weekend. but seriously. these are THE BEST. pinning. making. hope you feel better! i miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Making these right now. I'm excited to try the cream cheese in the frosting, that's something I've never done, but sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing, Kimberlee!! Oh and by the way, I tried your corn salsa recipe too and my kids LOVE it. I seriously couldn't keep my 20 month little guy out of it!! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i have been wanting to ask about these but not sure if you were going to share. all i have to say is ...aahhhh yeah!!! so excited to make these {although my thighs might have a problem with you.} love your cooking!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. KIMBERLEE!!!! I just had a cinnamon bun hot out of the oven and these are them! these are the best. you are going to be famous for this recipe. i'm going to link up to you on friday! thank you thank you thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i want sugar.
    i want cinnamon rolls.
    i want coffee.
    pronto.
    miss you and your delish buns.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was going to make cake mix cinnamon rolls but either me or one of my helpers grabbed an instant cheesecake mix rather than a yellow cake mix. So, I decided to try your recipe. Question, is it really 3-4 cups powdered sugar or is it 3/4 cup?

    They're in the oven, I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you!!! Made my night to find this recipe! I was searching your blog the other night trying to find recipe and couldn't find it! Yay for this pregnant mommy craving some huge wonderful cinnamon rolls!!! Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is it possible to freeze these? Defrost, bake and then ice? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can you make your cinnamon rolls the night before? Looking for something I can just put in the oven on Christmas morning.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have an even easier recipe. Use frozen bread dough. All done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Replies
    1. Yes, just look for Kimberlee Jost cinnamon rolls or the driveway of life and the link will come up. Or you can pin from here.

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails