Thursday, December 13, 2012

PinterTest Kitchen: Spaghetti Squash with Bacon, Parmesan and Garlic and Sugar Cookie Bars {Not necessarily together}

Nothing quite says Christmas as spaghetti squash.
No?
I had one in my pantry, and I needed to use it.
A few weeks back I pinned Spaghetti Squash with Bacon, Parmesan and Garlic, and I knew that someday I would make it.
I just didn't know it would be in December.
This recipe was so easy.
1. Bake squash
2. fry bacon in garlic
3. Shred squash into "spaghetti" with a fork.
4. Add bacon.
5. Add parmesan.
6. Add salt and pepper.
7. Eat.
It's that easy! And it was amazing. Real comfort food.
The only downfall, is that it doesn't make much. It's most definitely a side dish that might serve four. On this particular night, it was the main dish that served two adults. One kid wouldn't touch it and the other one said she liked the bacon, but not those "weird noodles".

I loved it and could have eaten the entire thing if I didn't have any manners.

Click here for the recipe.
-----------
PinterTest Kitchen number two: Sugar Cookie

Bruce loves sugar cookies.
I think that making sugar cookies is painful, and I'm horrible at it.
Frosting them and trying to make them pretty stresses me out. 
Stress, I tell you. Tension headache, ibuprofen inducing, I need to soak in a hot tub while eating Schwan's Peppermint Stick ice cream kind of stress.
So when my friend, Sara, told me about this recipe that her family had been making (and devouring) I pinned it immediately.
I suggested to Talia that we make a big Christmas tree.
She decorated it herself. (Smart girl not to ask me for much help.)
She dug through the old Halloween candy and found a yellow Starburst for the star. "It has to have a star!"
Ella came home from school and dug into our trunk supply.
I think her creation turned out really cute.
Everything about this recipe is yummy.
The frosting is tasty.
The crust is made of butt-ah.
It makes a ton for sharing, or not.
Get the recipe here.

Thank you, Sara, for sharing the recipe with me.
My entire family thanks you.
Especially Bruce.

11 comments:

  1. i have never 1. eaten spaghetti squash in november or decmeber or ever and 2. said "i have a squash in my pantry.
    you should cook this for me sometime so i can change #1.

    and i am all over that sugar cookie recipe!
    craig's favorite also.
    crazy boys.
    live a little....chocolate? peppermint??!! come on... short bread?!
    lame christmas cookie. and the hardest to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grayson: What is that?
    Me: A giant cookie!
    long pause
    Grayson: He, he. We could make one of those!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way about making sugar cookies. Guess what I get to bring for TWO classes' Christmas parties next week? At least I don't have to decorate them, that's part of the party "fun".

    I do love to eat them though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Those both sound and look so good! Thanks for sharing... Oh, and you and Meg crack me up. Your posts always make me smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talia's tree looks great!
    You are SOO welcome! I love it when I can share an addicting recipe with those I love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sugar cookies stress me out too! Why do they take SO long? However, they're on our agenda for this weekend....yah, we'll see about that :) Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea! I'm with you in that I cannot handle he stress of making frosted sugar cookies. I love them. They're my favorite cookie. But the rolling, cutting, frosting ... it's just too much! This is a perfect solution. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me at fry bacon in garlic. Thanks for linking up, loyal partier. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm waiting for the cookie to cool right now. So far I'm not impressed with the icing though. Did you make it exactly as the recipe is(with the shortening)? I'm thinking that might be why I'm not liking it-tastes very bland. I did it exactly as called for. So we'll see how it turns out.
    Like you, I'm all over any recipe that gets me around the real deal. They ARE stressful:)
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the recipe as it is...but I agree with you, next time, no shortening. I'm thinking I'll just use real butter. :)

      Delete
  10. Ok, I got my post done about these, linking to both you and Mama J over @ A Little Bit Crunchy...
    http://www.handbagsnpigtails.com/2013/01/sugar-cookie-bars.html
    The recipe ended up a HUGE success with my husband(he took his without the icing) and my girls(who loved it as is).
    I noticed that others felt the same way we did about the shortening in her comments section. But overall, still a great recipe and one we'll definitely make again.
    Thanks so much for sharing:) And Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails