Tuesday, October 9, 2012

PinterTest Kitchen: Crockpot Applesauce

I love it that Jess gives me an excuse every month to actually make something that I saw on Pinterest. I don't always know which thing to make, but when I saw how easy this was, I decided this was the pin that needed to be tested last Saturday. It was freezing out, my fireplace was roaring, and I needed a little project.
The recipe calls for: apples, lemon rind, brown sugar, and a cinnamon stick. I substituted ground cinnamon because I was sure I didn't have cinnamon sticks. Guess who found cinnamon sticks hiding out in her spices today?
I think you can use about any kind of apple you want. I added a few granny smiths to my galas to give my sauce a little zing.
I also left the peels on because I know that all that ruffage is good for me.
It makes me feel like I am being healthy.
And who wanted to peel that many apples? Let's just be honest about that.
When Talia heard I was making applesauce, she wanted to help. I put her to work counting out the teaspoons of brown sugar. (You can use agave if you have it.) I added the lemon peel, lemon juice, and more cinnamon than was necessary. It's good for your heart, ya know.
And my girl stirred it up.
We put the lid on and it cooked on low for six hours.
Six hours is a long time to wait, when you're at home at waiting for it to get done. By about hour four, it started smelling like apple pie in our house. For the next two hours both of my girls were asking when it was going to be done.
At hour six, I took the lid off and this is was she looked like.
YUM.
The recipe states that you can process it further in a blender. I like chunky applesauce, so I just left it in the natural state.
As you can see, natural doesn't necessarily mean pretty.
There's nothing fancy about applesauce, but there's something about warm sauce that really hits the spot.
Everyone at our house loves it, and that doesn't happen very often, I promise you.
I would absolutely make this recipe again.

If you're interested in seeing what other people are testing, head on over to Jess's blog. You just might find something to pin over there. ;)


5 comments:

  1. YUM. Chunky applesauce is my favorite. This is on my list as soon as it dips below 120 degrees here. Thanks for linking up, friend. Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to have to try that! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I pinned that a while back and have been so excited to try it! We went apple picking, but ate most of the apples before I had a chance to make it! guess we'll just have to get some more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! Thank you for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going on the list for what to do with all the apples we're picking this weekend! Thanks for linking up so I could find you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails